Saturday, March 1, 2008

Pancakes for Dinner

When I was a little girl, my grandmother would make pancakes for dinner on Fridays in Lent. Actually, I think she made pancakes for me, and some sort of fish dinner for all of the grown-ups who would stop by my grandparents' house on Friday evenings after work for an impromptu happy hour. My grandmother was known for hosting impromptu happy hours. My grandfather was always ready to mix up some cocktails, and my grandmother always had something in the oven, something like Capt. Tom's Fish Bake. Shows would be on the TV while everyone had their cocktails, shows like the Hollywood Squares, Wheel of Fortune, Kojak, Lawrence Welk, the Smothers Brothers, Perry Mason. That era of dropping by unannounced for a cocktail in the evenings is long gone.

I make pancakes for dinner now on Fridays in Lent. It is a fun way to teach the boys about the seasons of the year, and a nice way for me to remember the times I spent with my grandmother as a child.


Capt. Tom's Fish Bake, from Dodie Hansen

1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery and tops
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1 lb. fish fillets (you may use frozen or fresh) (You have Dodie's permission.)
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup oil
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 can tomato sauce

Combine onion celery, and parsley. Arrange in large shallow greased baking dish. Place fish in overlapping layers over vegetable. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle oil over top. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake in 375 degree oven for 10 minutes. Pour over tomato sauce and bake 30 to 35 minutes longer or until fish is flaky and sauce bubbles. 3 good servings.

No comments: